Monday, November 29, 2010

Flying By

It's 2 AM, on a Sunday night or should I say a Monday morning at this point?
Why am I awake you ask? The little monster I call my son. He does like to sleep!

He actually fell asleep nursing around 6pm, slept until 11pm and refused to go back to sleep until about 130 am. It took me 4 tries of sitting on the couch gently rocking him with his pacifier; every time I thought he'd fallen asleep I'd get up and he'd wake up or I'd get him to his crib, and as soon as I put him down he'd scream.
I don't know what's going on with him lately. Before we moved and even when we first moved he was sleeping GREAT; 8-10hours a night of uninterrupted sleep. Now? I'm lucky if I get 4 hours at night and then he doesn't nap during the day either he's just Mr.Mega-Cranky all day.

Add to that he's teething, chewing on EVERYTHING in sight, drooling buckets, little rash on his chin & cheeks from the drool. Tylenol before bed was helping until he started getting Night Terrors. No more Tylenol unless he's having a REALLY bad time of it. Baby Orajel helps, for about 20min and he HATES the stuff.

Best part? I'm quite certain he has a cold. He sounds all stuffed up and congested. He feels warm to the touch a lot of the time (although the thermometer says he is fine) and (if it's possible) he's been even CRANKIER. Erik caught Joshua's cold (probobly because Joshua is always sneezing in our faces). Now I have the cold too.

I went to bed at 10pm. Erik woke me up at 11pm because Joshua was up and hungry. At 12am he says "well, have fun, time for the night shift" and went to bed. I got frustrated after about another hour of trying and failing to get Joshua to sleep and raised my voice saying "GO TO SLEEP!!!!" Let's just say Erik didn't appreciate it; he woke up pissed, snapped at me and went back to sleep. x_x

So why, you ask, if they're both (finally) asleep am I still awake? Well I'm angry at Erik for leaving me to deal with Joshua. I know he needs to sleep because he has work tomorrow. It's not that; it's that I'm sick and have had ONE hour of sleep, he could have been a little more considerate and offered to get up if Joshua was still up in a few hours or something. Instead he said I was the "night shift". Last time I checked I'm the freaking ALWAYS shift. I know Erik is working, and I'm not. But I feel so resentful sometimes that I'M the one up at 5am with Joshua, I'M the one who deals with his crankiness all day, I'M the one trying to juggle a baby that will NOT let me put him down AT ALL without SCREAMING with chores. He comes home at the end of the day and plays with Joshua a little, while I cook dinner and then it's "here you go mommy". I'm LUCKY if I get 4 hours of sleep a night lately! So maybe it would be nice if he'd take Joshua more when he has a day off? I feel almost like I am begging him to play with Joshua on his days off, or to change ONE diaper so I can just SIT for a few minuets. He won't feed him foods (he now eats rice cereal, barley cereal, oatmeal, squash, carrots, peas, green beans, apples, bananas), won't give him a bath. Joshua and I go to bed and he stays up playing video games and then sleeps till 11am; leaving just me with Sir-Cranky-Boy, till the next day when (guess what) it's back to his work-week grind.
I feel bad being so upset about it. Because HE is the one working and supporting all 3 of us. But staying home with this little monster disguised as a cherub that I wish I could yell at but can't because I love him to death that I named Joshua Daniel is NOT easy, or fun. I just wish he could see that. And maybe just be a little more compassionate in the way he talks at the least? "Good night, I love you" would have been a vast improvement over "have fun, night shift is all yours".


On another note. Thanksgiving was pretty good. We went to my parents for dinner. Not much else to say on that.

I am utterly flabbergast that it's nearly December. My little man is FIVE MONTHS OLD.

1 comment: